Friday, July 23, 2004

Not quite so jaded anymore

My experience at the writing conference improved dramatically on Saturday. I was so jaded and overrun by my terrible cold that I just stopped caring about everything. This worked wonders on my “pitch”. I was calm, relaxed and sociable. Big improvement.

I had a meeting with an editor from Ballantine (big New York publishing house). This was a group meeting. There were four other writers at the table. She told us upfront that she usually will only accept new work through agents and doesn’t solicite writers directly. She told us not to feel badly if she didn’t ask to see our work. Fine. Whatever. I didn’t care anymore. When it was my turn to speak about my work, I was so smooth and conversational. I didn’t try to “hype” it or give the Hollywood pitch. She was very interested. I related the bad reactions I got from people because my book is a collection and she was quick to say that collections are gaining popularity, especially with young people my age. She asked me to mail her my best stories and to send her the first three chapters of my next book when I have them completed. She didn’t ask anyone else in our group to send her anything. Kick ass! Suddenly, I was in a much better mood.

I would have written about this sooner, but it’s been a crazy week. We’re packing up the house and sorting all our worldly belongings into ship or sell piles. Kiomye is highly traumatized by the whole process. She cried when we sold our washer and dryer, for chrissakes. I can only imagine the tantrum she’ll throw when we sell her bed and old toys. Matt is in New York visiting Randy. I’d like to be angry with him for skipping out on me and leaving me alone with this big mess, but I can’t because I’m the one that got the dates wrong and bought his tickets for this weekend. Doh!

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!!! I was going to ask how the rest of the conference went, but I wanted to wait and see what you would post. Yay! And that's really good to hear, I'm guessing that she was with one of the bigger publishing houses (I always think of those "Publisher's Clearing House" commercials when I hear that term), so that probably makes you tripply excited, huh? By the way, you need to move my blog page to LiveJournal, and let me know when and what you're selling because I may be interested. And I'll keep that chair for you while you're gone! Much love! *Kyllo*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home