Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Typhoon dreams

The typhoon hit under a heavy yellow moon. We slept through the heaviest part of the storm, but were awakened often by pieces of debris flying through the air and smacking against our windows, our walls.

I woke at midnight to witness the height of the fury. I had intended to stand on our balcony and feel the full force of the wind, but quickly realized what a stupid idea that was when I saw the trees bent over and objects such as chairs and sections of fencing swirling madly in the air. Instead I watched from behind the glass, which vibrated and hummed. I finally retreated to bed after I'd had my fill.

The next morning was all sunshine and stillness, as if mocking the wrath of the night before. The only evidence was the tattered leaf-less trees and the workers scrambling to put the fences back together.

My work will start on Friday, but with a retreat for the teachers - not with classes. I am told there will be two days of meetings and reports in a lodge in the mountains. I was advised to bring a book - or five. Between the two days, there is a night when everyone gets smashed and 'bonds'. Dan says that he's never seen any of the few women teachers at the school attend this evening of revelry, but that there don't seem to be any rules against it. I'm going. I wouldn't miss this spectacle.

We still don't have internet access at home. Dan gets back in-country today and as soon as he recovers from his jetlag we're asking him to take us out and help us get hooked up. My posts will be sporatic until then.

Thanks for all the comments, dear friends. It makes me feel not so far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home