Friday, October 01, 2004

Local sake and imported Oreos

This evening we’re camped out in front of our balcony’s sliding glass doors with supplies of local sake and imported Oreos to watch another typhoon roll by. The storm center will hit at midnight, as have all the other storms this summer in Nishinomiya. The rain started this morning. I grabbed an umbrella out of the stand as I headed off to work. The small circle of plastic kept the crown of my head dry and that’s about it. The rains had already flooded the streets with a couple of inches of water. My shoes soaked through instantly, then the water crept up my pant legs. When I got to the school, I had to duck into the teacher’s room to take off my pants and give them a good ringing out so that I didn’t drip through my first class. It took until my fifth class until my pants completely dried out.

The TV in the teacher’s office tracked the typhoon all day. The teachers huddled around praying that the storm would hit our prefecture early enough in the day so that the torturous staff meeting would be called off and we could go home on time. No such luck. After school clubs were canceled, but the meeting survived. At least the rain let up for our walk home in the half-dark of the pre-typhoon hour.

3 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Just an update:

The typhoon was the whimpiest I'd ever seen. The strength of the storm had dissapaited almost completely by the time it got to us. Very anti-climatic.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Great writing. I bookmarked it. I'm an American living in Pakistan who teaches English and American to diplomats. I use my blog to document my asburd views of life abroad.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Hi Carol!

I'd love to check out your blog, but when I click on your name I get a message that says your profile isn't public and I can't get to your blog. I'd still like to read about your experiences. Would you post the link here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home