Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Contemplating Beauty

At the English camp, I stole away during the night to wander through the pitch black forest and gain some intimacy with the land of Japan. Now I ponder the ripples on the pond. I may never be able to describe with words their beauty on that onyx summer night, and I worry. Does this mean that because I cannot describe them, the ripples never existed? Or, is it that of course the water bent and distorted in patterns; but merely it is the beauty of the occurrence that needed human eyes to recognize its existence? Does beauty not exist if unseen? Is beauty left unspoken beauty lost to the world? Is it enough to be witnessed by one human soul?

Maybe this is why God exists – or, more rightly – why I exist. There is always someone with which to share what we see, what we experience. Maybe that is why I live, not to write for myself and others, but to share the beauty of existence with God.

There are those close to my heart that say they do not believe in such unsubstantiated things as God. I ask, how do you explain beauty? I truly am curious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home