Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Karaoke surprises

Another Thursday past last week and my blog went without an Absinthe post. I neglected my usual sanity sessions and instead took up one of my colleagues on an evening out.

(Hooray! Finally I’m invited! You like me, you respect me – let’s go get trashed. - Such is the way of Japan business.)

Luckily, my peers have an incredible low alcohol tolerance level, so I could keep pace with an easy smile. While I have been working at this school for a year, this was the first time I was asked along on one of these late night excursions. I’m much younger, foreign and female (the last being my most grievous offense). Yet finally I was welcomed.

I had a wonderful evening. My faulty yet determined mangling of the Japanese language inspired two teachers who I’ve never heard speak a word of English to speak in my native tongue. (Although, the realization that they can understand some of the English mutterings I stream out during my work day is a little bit shocking and embarrassing.) Our principal had apparently handed out money to foot the bill for the first portion of the evening, so the teachers had me drink mao – a clear alcohol (shou-chu) that tastes slightly like polish remover and comes at a hefty 8000 yen a glass (about 80 bucks American). I had two, thankyouverymuch.

The evening culminated, of course, with karaoke. Only six of us survived to this stage. Here I learned some shocking things about my peers. Mr. K can easily pass for a J-pop star and can RAP (!!) with some authority. Tough Mr. I has the most beautiful and sentimental singing voice I’ve ever heard from a man and crones out ballads to make me weak in the knees. Mr. T prefers Prince songs despite his low gravely voice. And finally, Mr. M, who kept silent and sullen the entire night (much like at work), topped off the evening totally rocking out Green Day style – complete with split leg jumps and thrashing air guitars.

I can never look at them the same again.

For this, I am entirely grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home