Saturday, June 05, 2004

Evil TV

On my friend Dan's blog, he admitted his affection for a certain sleazy Amaerican television show that has just been released in Japan (where he lives) and I had to comment to tell him my experiences with it. I realized that it is my duty as a good citizen to warn all people of the dangers of this show. So, I've decided to copy my response to Dan's blog here on my own blog:

I'm not allowed to watch Temptation Island. The train wreck factor hooked me into the first season, but I got too emotionally involved. I would be watching the show while Matt was quietly doing something like eating spaghetti or reading a magazine, and as the couples on the show committed horrible acts against each other, my eyes would fall on my husband. The show is evil. When you live vicariously through their horrible lives, you lose all your trust and faith in love and commitment. Matt would then tell me he was making a run to the store and I would jump up and question him. Why was he going to the store? Did he really need cigarettes? Why can’t he just smoke that stub? Doesn’t he find me attractive anymore? Doesn’t he love me?

Yeah, not good.

I had to watch the first season through to the end in the hopes that the couples would redeem themselves and my belief in monogamy somehow. Didn’t happen. I sat sobbing through the last show, then Matt shut it off and told me I wasn’t allowed to even watch the previews for the next season. I submitted gracefully.

(Yes, I realize that Matt should win some kind of award and a fruit basket for being married to me and not losing his mind.)

1 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, Blogger Diana said...

Kels, you're hilarous. Reality TV is Satan Incarnate. Reality TV is the Antichrist. Reality TV is an OXYMORON for crap's sake. My roomates love all that crappola. I watch with sick amazement seeing every tiny, stupid edit. Thank God I used to be a video editor and know exactly what you can do with a facial expression placed out of its true context. Most of it makes me laugh. But it's the kind of uncomfortable laugh that you have when watching parts of Jackass, another Antichrist TV show. Reality TV is like saying True Fantasy. Television hasn't been truth since the first month it existed. It is just dulling our sense of the real. What is real anymore? Reality is suppose to be relative to the broadcast station you are tuned into...

thanks for ticking me off. I love you, mama.
-Dianway

 

Post a Comment

<< Home