Tuesday, September 07, 2004

First day of the term

When the Japanese men laugh at some joke, I laugh too. They may wonder why I laugh when I can’t understand their words – but what they don’t realize is that from my perspective, they are all the more hilarious.

Monday was the first day of the term. The classes I teach will not begin until Wednesday, but on Monday I had to attend the opening ceremonies and (surprise) another staff meeting. I was formally introduced during the ceremonies and asked to make a short speech for the 500 or so students. No problemo. I remember that I spoke slowly and clearly, with a smile, but I have no idea what I said.

Since my introduction, the boys suddenly acknowledge me. Whereas before when I would see them on the street they would avert their eyes and give me a wide berth, now they smile and bow. Some of the braver boys even offer me a tentative “hello”, which causes the rest of the boys to dissolve into giggles. Kwansei Gakuin Jr. High boys are never seen alone – even pairs are rare. Small packs are the norm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home