Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Chasing the Green

On my continual quest for green space in this country of concrete, I picked a patch f emerald on my map and took three trains to journey to see it in person. The map assured me there would be a zoo and a park. No such luck. A new department store was being constructed smack dab on top of my supposed green spot. Well, crap.

I’d come so far already, so I decided to continue down the road I was on. It headed towards the ocean – I was fairly sure. I hadn’t seen the Pacific since we landed in Osaka almost two months ago. I had a new goal.

I walked for, um… FOREVER down a horribly ugly road. There was no end in sight. The wind picked up and I could smell salt in the air, so I trudged on. After assign my fifth Family Mart convenience store, I spotted some leafy green ahead. A huge park lined the waterfront – complete with an amazing pirate ship to play on. The boat was life size and had double masts and a cool gang plank.

I walked through the park then climbed over a stone wall and found – the OCEAN! The bay was brown and choked with barges – but dear Lord – here is my ocean! The signs told me that it was an area protected by the Environmental Ministry. I looked at the concrete slabs, the milk cartons floating in the water and the plastic bags wrenching themselves free of their receptacle prisons to fly off in the wind. The ministry should be fired.

I saw my first homeless Japanese men. They had a small tent city in the park – packed full of clutter and Tupperware. Two of the men sat on the ground in front of their tents, watching the sun go down over the ocean and chatting away on their cell phones.

Yes. Cell phones.

Even the homeless lifestyle is much faster paced here.

1 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of Japanese people actually live relatively normal lives in cardboard boxes because they don't want to bother with the cost of rent (since it's so freakishly high here).

Hence the cellphones and tupperware amid paper siding.

-Abby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home