Monday, October 04, 2004

Losing words

I have lost touch with my writing voice. I blame the endless remedial conversations I must have with my English students.

“What sport do you like?”
“I like track. Do you like track?”
“Yes, I do.”
”O.K. See you later.”
“See you later.”

These simple sentences have stolen my sense of rhythm and flow. I don’t know how to recover.

I find myself frustrated with words. Not only do I lack the Japanese needed to communicate in everyday situations, but my English skills seem to be disappearing as well. I must write avidly, feverously to hold on to them.

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it only gets worse from here. Gradually your grammar and vocab will go and you'll be left a blubbering ex-native-speaker. Only a matter of time....

-Abby

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Abez said...

I had the same problem teaching English to diplomats in Pakistan, lol.

Can you please turn on the light?

-What is turn on?

-To make the light light.

Make the light light?

Yes.

Next week I nearly ask someone to light the light. eek!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home