Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Sometimes things go right

On Sunday morning, two days ago, I drug myself out of bed, stumbled into my walking shoes and headed out the door to finally climb the mountain behind the college where I work. I love walking through the neighborhoods early in the morning. There are few people out, and those up and moving are the locals walking their dogs or watering their plants. Everyone smiles and calls out “Ohiyo Gozimasu!”

I followed a curving road up behind the college and into the forest preserve. The forest preserve is a very large patch of green on my map that I had yet to explore as I couldn’t find the entrance. Now I wish I’d found it sooner. The preserve was amazing. It was huge and filled with winding paths and trails lined with leafy trees. It would take me two days straight days to follow all the trails to their destinations. This is a welcome oasis in my concrete jungle, a welcome reprieve from sidewalks and skyscrapers.

As this is Japan, down the trails I found many vending machines from which I could choose a variety of drinks, not to mention five types of coffees with varying degrees in cream and sugar and available hot or cold. I even found a cup-o-noodle vending machine. Fantastic.

At the center of the preserve, is a beautiful sculpture garden, with a long long walk leading to two giant water fountains. The place is overrun with cats. Kitties of all colors and sizes prowl this way and that, looking for a patch of sun or a handout from the picnickers. Some of the braver souls run up to me to wind themselves between my legs.

In the midst of the kitty patch, I heard some rustling in the bushes. I assumed that the noise was simply some hidden cats chasing a mouse or squirrel. The bushes parted and I watched, not a cat, but a wild boar walk into the clearing. A wild boar! With tusks! Of course, my first reaction in these instances is always inappropriate and stupid – I whipped out my camera and started to advance on the beast. (At least I didn’t run after it like I did with the bobcat I saw in Colorado. Yes, my instincts are very very off.) Better sense soon overcame my initial excitement and I climbed up on a bench to take my pictures from a safe perch.

After the wild boar incident, I wound my way through the forest and found a discrete clearing to rest. Sat in the shade an munched on a rice ball. Across the clearing, an elderly man sat with a guitar of sorts. He was very still. I didn’t notice him until he started to strum and sing. I lingered for a long time listening to him.

After my break, I walked to the large temple and took pictures of the shrines, then I climbed up to the top of the little mountain to look out over Osaka, Kobe and the bay. The view stretched forever. Gorgeous. I climbed back down and met two wonderful older women that invited me to climb back up to the top with them. I declined on behalf of my calf muscles, but was sorry for the missed opportunity as the women were so friendly and their English halfway decent.

Later that evening, two of our nicest neighbors watched Kiomye for a couple of hours so that Matt and I could get away by ourselves. We took the train to Sannomiya and discovered the China town. We strolled down the long long street buying food from almost every sidewalk vendor. Everything was fried and delicious.

It was a fantastic day. One of the best in a while.

1 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Parts of your adventure sound very Pakistani: ferral cats and wild boars, yep, we got'em here too. At our family restaurant there is a mother cat with 4 kittens, two solid black like angus cows and two black and white like holsteins. I call them the cow-cats. One of the cow cats is friendly and will actually let you pick him up and pet him: very unusual behavior for a wild cat. I love cats, but Hubby is very alergic so stolen pets and purrs from a ferral cat is as good as it gets here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home