Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Reprise Revisited

My father left this morning. He flew across the ocean and stayed with me for a week. I dragged him up and down the metropolitan areas of central Japan. With the help of Dan and Abby, we forced him to partake in his first karaoke party, which he quickly took to with great gusto. We dinned with my boss on chanko nabe, the billion calorie stew that only the champion sumo wrestlers get to eat. I showed him the little mountain behind the school where I teach and we climbed up to the temple from which you can see from Osaka to Kobe. We retreated inland and I took him to my most beloved city in Japan, Kyoto. We had an excellent French meal in Gion, slept on tatami mats in ryokan and ruthlessly shopped the street leading to Kiyomizu-dera.

I wore him out. He wore me out. It was great fun.

Now he is gone. So is Matt. It’s just me and the screamer. Today is my first day as a pseudo-single woman. I slept in late and walked Kiomye to school in bright sunlight. Thank God for Spring and blooming flowers. How can any one be sad when cherry blossom petals keep dropping in your eyes? Now I am catching up on so so much neglected correspondence and listening to Sting’s “Brand New Day.” The house is clean. I’ve hung new pictures. I bought a leafy plant. Later today I will go shopping for new bedding, then hole up in a coffeeshop and write write write. Breathe. I’m still OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home