Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Back in the groove

This is the first time I've ever been relieved that a vacation has ended. Ironically, the break brought me way to much stress. Now the school demands all of my attention. Thank God.

I am thrilled to be teaching again. I finally feel like I know what I'm doing. The first year, I had no clue AND I had no idea how I was going to figure it out. The second year, I still had no clue, but I had a better idea on how to figure it out. But now, my classes flow so smooth. I have plans, ideas and enthusiasm. I love my students and they are happy to have me teaching them again.

But still, the shock of the mental exhaustion of the first full week of classes always wipes me out. Last night I went to bed at 7:30. I was asleep in minutes. Tonight I'm going to try to stay awake until 8. It'll will be a tough battle.

Today during lunch I was chatting ith one of the older teachers in the office. He told me that for most of the last term I looked like a high school student, but that these past couple weeks I look like a madam. (He's English isn't very good. He meant "lady". I didn't clue him in on the other meaning that madam has.) He asked me why I changed. I have changed, and I know exctly why. But, I didn't think any of the teachers would be persceptive enough to notice. I couldn't tell him about my love life, about the whirlwinds, exaultations and late night stresses. All I could say was, "I think it's time for me to grow up."

"Yes," he said. "I think that will be good for your heart."

I forget sometimes how closely we all live in that little office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home