Friday, June 25, 2004

This woman's voice will not be lost to the dictators of history

I found this article about an Iranian woman who has her own blog. This is an amazing feat. Women in Iran are often silenced, but this blog shows that one woman, intelligent and passionate, has an important perspective on world events. We are lucky that she found a way to communicate. I mourn all the voices we have lost in history. Lady Sun (pseudonym) said of her blog "We always wear masks in our society. This is a place to take them off." She writes amazing things like:

"...my disgust for any kind of interference with other people's lives in the name of aims which are in clear contrast with your method of enforcing them. I don’t know if it makes sense to you at all when I say that I don’t really care if it was Iraqis who were being tortured or Iranians or Americans, what matters to me is that NO human is entitled to harm others in ANY way for ANY purpose. This is why I resent capital punishment or other types of physical punishment.

Anyhow, I think people are different and they have different ideas; one cannot expect everybody to discard all nationalistic prejudices and judge issues based on pure humanitarianism and void of all kinds of bias and comparison. And this, I think, is the unfortunate result that we get, people are being tortured and others come and say, well, they've hurt others and so …"

Lady Sun's blog: pinkfloydish.com

I've linked to the English archives of her blog. The English translation is lagging, so we can only read her posts through May. I couldn't find the June translations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home