Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Author + rit + y = Not me

So, I'm reading these Self-Publishing guides and marketing books and getting very depressed. It seems that the success of most books rests in marketing, NOT in the content or artistry of the book. Good guts will help a book, but are not necessary. The actions these people suggest are overwhelming. Most ideas even involve interacting with other people. Ugh. That’s not why I signed up to be a writer.

This is so much more difficult than I thought it would be.

Maybe if I imagined I had some kind of authority, it would be easier to imagine promoting my book and giving talks. But, I have no authority, and I’m too self-aware to pretend otherwise. That’s a lie. I pretend to have authority all the time, just not in what is most important to me. Ask me about the economy or the Women’s rights movement in India and I’ll prattle off for an hour. Ask me about my book and I just go dumb. Uhhhhhh… Um, it’s about stuff and life. I guess. Yea, it’s kinda good, but don’t worry, I’ll write a better one later.

That’s not going to get my book sold. Blech.

On a happier and contrary note, I just checked my sales report and found out that my book has moved up from 19th to number 7 on CafePress’s most popular fiction/literature category. That’s freakishly cool! I’m going to run around the living room in little circles and yelp like a Pomeranian. Please excuse me…

2 Comments:

At 3:13 AM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Your comment made me cry. Your co-worker is my first REAL reader! Real meaning not a personal friend or family. It means so much to me to know that she liked it. Wow, there are just so many big "firsts" right now. So much silly crying and hapy yelping.

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Diana said...

May I suggest readings and open mics. It may not get you famous but it will help you pack your book into sellable little tidbits leaving people wanting more. And if you aren't able to fully get behind this book, perhaps it is a good idea to start cranking out other ones. I love what I've read of it (had I a credit card I would own several copies) and know that you have a large market who would curl up with your book and a glass of red wine and some Giradelli chocolate. There is something to be said about prolific storytellers. you could be a grassroots legend if your name was on enough stuff.

Have you submitted short stories to short story magazines or quarterly publications? I am sure you have thought of all of this and I am just your clueless musician friend, but it's cute that I try, right?

I love you and have complete confidence in your calling to change the world. Your tenacity has always floored me.

forever,
SS Dianaway

 

Post a Comment

<< Home