Friday, June 11, 2004

Chem-beauty and Snarky Snarkerson

I have dyed my hair yet again. Second time today, third time this week. The blonde didn’t turn out well, more like tangerine. Citrus head. No thank you. I know Matt wanted me to try a lighter color for awhile, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Dark hair is comforting. Short dark hair seems mature and sophisticated. I think I could pull that off for a month or so.

My friend Christy has an obsession with dying and cutting her hair. Every time she changes her look, I mark it up to low self-esteem issues and cluck that maybe when she learns to love herself inside, then she’ll be satisfied with her outside. If the same judgment is applied to my behavior I’ll jump up and down, insist it isn’t so and offer a big screw you. It’s just hair. That - and my self-esteem and identity as a woman. That’s all. Leave me alone.

Speaking of chemical dependency, I’m going to spend the rest of my evening soaking my fingers in acetone and watching the Monster movie (about the serial killer – not the fluffy closet dwellers). I got these dang French manicure nails that looked great for my sister’s wedding, but are now growing out and resemble Dracula claws. I had no idea what I was getting into when I got them put on. I didn’t know what a pain in the neck it is to remove the dang things.

I am fascinated when I think of all the chemicals my body comes in contact with in the name of beauty. Taking inventory right now, I’ve got the hair dye (three layers), day-old mascara, acrylic nails, Aussie "natural-style" hair gel, all-day lip stain, toe polish and self-tanning lotion (God only knows what’s in that magic potion). And this is a casual day for me. Imagine how long the list may be on a formal day. I am not fit for human consumption. I would definitely NOT qualify as organic.

Personal message to Randy: Snarky. I just learned this word this fall. My writing class has been obsessed with it for two quarters. Snarky. It just dawned on me that that I can give a perfect definition of the word if simply I think of you. Interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home