Thursday, August 19, 2004

Temptation

Leaping and turning beneath my skin, the demon I’ll never let you see torments me. He has grown strong within, feeding off my tender heart and perverse fantasies. My insides can hardly contain him. At full stretch, his talons touch my toes and his horns tickle my throat. I sit in this circle of calm bodies and sublime looks and pray that no one can see my struggle. The light is dim. It is easy to mistake my grimace for a smile.

The demon scampers up to my brain and gnaws on my memory, swallowing sweet vows of loyalty and evenings spent barefoot under stars. My skin stretches and bulges as he races up and down my limbs, stirring up sensations of exquisite pleasure. I gasp – you mistake it for a laugh or maybe a yawn. The light is dim. My clothes cover my secret shivers. Please don’t make me scream, I beg, then dive within to restrain the demon, to attempt to subdue his plunder for one blessed moment.

We wrestle beneath skin, spiraling toward the center of my chest. My fleshy blue-red heart beats strong and fast, diverting the demon. He curls his lips around a swelling of heart and suckles as if an infant at his mother’s breast.

I return to self, climb up and look out of my eyes again. I notice you are telling an old story now, about unrequited love and the quest for peace. I sit with still arms, my palms turned upward. I ache for your peace. Sharp teeth gnash and pull at the small corner of my heart. Alternate shivers of pain and pleasure transverse my limbs. I grimace. The light is dim. You tell the punch line again, encouraged by my smile.

I look over the dancing tips of the rising flames and catch the eye of the man across from me. His pupils lay dead in circles of white, which flash ice blue, then clear back to naked white. He blinks and looks around the circle. His eyes fall on mine. We look away. Silently, I welcome him back from the fray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home