Monday, August 16, 2004

Reunion Time

Yesterday we sat and sweltered at my grandparents ranch in Monroe - a little bon voyage party to gather the family before Matt, Kio and I depart for the land of the rising sun. I love my big family. There grandparents, aunts, uncles a sampling of cousins, my sister's family and four big dogs running all amuck. We picknicked on the grass under canopies filled with flowers, just a couple of steps away from the pasture where the horses ran back and forth and begged for watermelon.

Kiomye rode a horse for the first time ever. It was a thrill to see her little body all alone on that great big animal. She got shouts of advice from all sides - back straight, heels down, toes in - which was hilarious considering she's only two and the fact that she can simply keep her diapered bottom from sliding off the saddle was amazing in itself.

The day was exhausting. Kiomye screamed her head off for a full minute when we strapped her down in her carseat to drive home - then she was out cold for the rest of the drive. It's odd to know that I won't see most of my family for at least a year - possibly much more. I don't see my extended family all that often, but it is comforting to know that they are close. I will miss their proximity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home