Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Gender Biased Coffee Drinks

On my way to work this morning, I decided to mix things up a it by swinging into the convenience store a couple blocks earlier than the one I usually frequent. I headed straight back to the cold coffee drink section for my usual plastic bottle of caffe latte. To my surprise, I spotted a product that I'd never seen before: Men's Latte. That's right. Let me write that again.

Men's Latte.

Of course, I immediately yanked the bottle out of the cooler and twisted it all around to see what made this latte especially for men. The packaging was similar to that of the gender neutral coffees, except that it featured a little more silver. Then I started to look around at the other drinks. Is there Coke for Ladies? Women's green tea, young boys orange juice. Nope. Just the men's latte.

I had to buy it, of course. I now have it placed prominently on my desk. I'm hoping to get scornful looks that I can write about later.

5 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger Carol said...

After I read your blog to my daughters the girls said, "Tell her to send a pic of it to engrish.com. They would love it.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Scribbler said...

That's a good idea! I will send it.

(I still can't access your blog...)

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Something's fishy here. I thought I posted this comment yesterday... but where is it? Well, here it goes again.
Great read. Take a photo and submit it to engrish.com.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Carol said...

After a refresh, the first comment showed up. Here's my url: www.da-momma-blog.blogspot.com.
I'm also an expat, ESL teacher, (private tuitions as they say here in Pakistan). Just got my 1st adult Japanese student. Any ideas on how to kill the tacked on vowel sounds? I'm using Ann Cook's American Accent Training as my course, it's great, but very slow. I'm not starting him on Chpt 1-Intonation, but on Chpt 4-Final T sounds. When I get him to cut out the vowels, and pronounce his L's then I'll follow her book. Do you know her book? It's great!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They usually call it "men's" whatever because it's more bitter than their normal product. For example, Men's Pocky is just Pocky covered in dark chocolate, as opposed to the usual milk chocolate. Just a little FYI.

-Abby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home