Monday, November 15, 2004

Crazy English and a Toddler's True Love

Teaching English has allowed me to recognize how messed up and crazy this language is. I just realized that it’s completely ridiculous for the word “answer” to contain a “w”. Come on now. Let’s be reasonable people!

Kiomye has been watching a lot of Disney movies lately and now the term “true love” has crept into her vocabulary. She doesn’t quite understand the phrase. She keeps fake-crying and saying she’s lost her true love. I ask her where it is and she says, “Umm, maybe my true love is at the store? Maybe daddy took it.” We keep trying to explain to her that true love is not a “thing” but she thinks that if you’ve lost it, you must be able it. The princesses in the movie are always looking for their true love.

Another funny moment, I was watching the modern version of Romeo and Juliet to prepare for my Saturday class and Kiomye caught sight of Leonardo DiCaprio. “Is that my true love?” she asked. Yeah, yours and mine both honey. Very funny.

2 Comments:

At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelsye,
I feel like an unknown interloper -- or worse, a voyeur -- reading your entries here, but I really have delighted in hearing about your adventures in Japan. This particular one made me laugh out loud in an empty apartment, so I felt I should let you know that you were able to spread some joy today. I found yor blog on one of the high school sites ... hope you don't mind the instrusion. Much Love from an old friend, Nicole.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Nicole! I've finally found your comment. A copy was sent to my email, but it took me forever to find it on my page. You're more than welcome on my blog anytime. Of course... I'd love it if there was one of your own I could link to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home