Friday, November 05, 2004

The reluctant school marm

In the books I read throughout my youth, many of the intelligent heroines I admired became school teachers. I always felt sorry for them. I figured that they took on the position of teacher because it afforded them a small bit of independence and intellectual stimulus when few other options were available. In this modern world, I believe that many more options are open for women. I never wanted to be a teacher. I thought that women who ended up teaching simply weren’t savvy in business or technical worlds or that they had a stronger maternal instinct and joy in being around children than I did. Children are great and all, in small doses, but students can be evil little monsters. I knew that when I finished my schooling, I would never go near a school again.

Now, I’m a teacher. How amusing. I actually enjoy the job, but it’s much MUCH harder than I ever expected it to be. When I think about it, there still aren’t many more career options for educated women. Yes, there are business and technical fields that I could have entered, and I did strike out in those directions. I’ve worked as an administrative assistant and a graphic designer. I am very technically savvy and I have a natural knack for business.

I hate business and I get bored and depressed sitting in an office, even if I m playing with Photoshop. I love learning and reading and being active in my day. I have discovered that I even like people – including kids – which was something I doubted before.

Now I support my family with my teaching job. I am the only “earner” in our little family, but we are able to make it on my entry level teacher’s salary. We’re lucky that way. Many women aren’t able to obtain positions that would allow them to be the sole supporters of their families, not that many women aren’t the sole providers for their families despite the fact that their salaries don’t cover expenses.

Somehow though, I’m still a little sore at being a teacher. When I tell people what I do, I always follow quickly with saying that I want to write novels and possibly become a University professor. I make it clear that this is just a temporary stage in my life. I am still somewhat embarrassed at being a clichéd school teacher. This is strange to recognize in myself.

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Myabe you're working with older kids than you need. I taught pre-school for 7 years and enjoyed it very much. It's a lot of work, but most of the kids are still sweet and innocent and a joy to be around. I'm just a cut and paste, sing and play kind of child in an adult body.
After that I worked 7 years in an elementary school office. My moments of enjoyment with the kids were few and far between. I got more enjoyment from peer interaction.
Anyhoo, cherish the bright moments.

Thanks for the link. Being acknowledged as the Queen of Cultural Confusion made my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home