Monday, December 19, 2005

Back to Eartha

So, you may have noticed from way way back how much I love my ipod. This intense affection spills over to include itunes. After much delay, itunes became available to those of us expats living in Japan. Supreme joy. So much music! So easy to make it all mine mine MINE!!!

My most recent download is Eartha Kitt's "Bluebird's Best." I am really digging on this album. Why? That sweet, drip honey voice with lyrics like these:

"if Beale Street could talk,
married men would have to take their bags and walk,
except for one or two who never drink booze
and the blind man on the corner who sings the Beale Street blues."


and these (which are, of course, dedicated to my beloved Jenny):

"I've posed for pictures with ivory soap.
I've petted stray dogs and tried clear of dope.
My smile is brilliant.
My glance is tender.
But I'm noticed most for my unspoiled gender.
I've been made Miss Rinegold, though I've never touched beer.
I'm the person to whom they say is sweet, my dear.
The closest I've been to a bar is ballet class.
Prim and proper. The girl who's never been kissed.
Well I'm tired of being pure and not chased.
Like something that seeks it's level, I wanna go to the devil.
I wanna be evil.
I wanna spit tacks.
I wanna be evil
and cheat at jacks
I wanna be wicked
I wanna tell lies
I wanna be mean and throw mud pies.
I want to wake up in the morning with that dark brown taste
I wanna see some dissapation in my face
I wanna be evil
I wanna be mad
much more than that
I wanna be bad!"


This is an incredible album. Her voice is clear and perfect. She somehow manages that slight low rumble and also a high trill. Eartha Kitt. To listen is to love her.

Oh, and to friends back home, this legend has not yet passed. Not only that, she's performing at Jazz Alley in Seattle this February 14-19. You would be CRAZY to miss it. My birthday is on the 15th. Go for me. Get your tickets now. The show is even pretty cheap, under $50. Please, SOMEONE, go!!!

To friend in the mid-west, Eartha's hitting Minneapolis January 27th and 28th. Check it out here.

3 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Brettanicus said...

Wow, great lyrics. I’ll definitely make it to her show. Orchestra Hall is literally across the street from me, Red building in lower right
I hung out on Beale Street for a while, and Bourbon Street, and Haight-Ashbury. It was my drop-out year from school (obviously was reading Jack Kerouac at the time.) I travelled around with a tatooed cowgirl, a blues musician, and a dog named Camille. Sounds like a country song...

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Scribbler said...

I'm so glad you're going! She's as old as dirt now, so I hope it's still a good show. What wonderful luck that you are so close.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I've never heard her sing before, but didnt' Eartha Kitt play 'Catwoman' in the old Batman TV show?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home