Saturday, March 11, 2006

Weekend in Kyoto


I ducked down the grittier alleys - away from the tourists areas. The colors in this alley caught my eye. Then I found the market at Toji temple. It was luck that I stumbled on market day. This little girl was carefully inspecting all the teacups.

Here is the pagoda at Toji. It's a world heritage site. (pretend to care) The other shot is of downtown Kyoto. The first time I saw Kyoto, I was shocked with how ugly and outdated it's downtown core is. Not modern or tradtional at all. Too seventies. Too grey. Too ugly.

Kyoto Station is a modern marvel, despite it's drab neighborhood. It reminds me of the Death Star from the Star Wars movie. I saw this doll at the temple market. It creeped me out. Why are old dolls so scary?
Another shot of the Death Star, and a view of the market.

I love the trains. I really do. I love the little side streets. I really do.

1 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, Blogger meredith said...

Those are really some gorgeous shots. The first one's colors are incredible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home