Thursday, April 20, 2006

commitments broken and renewed

A third year of teaching in Japan was finally offered to me. There was some drama and for a moment it looked like I might have to come home early. But, thankfully, God and good-sense intervened and I get to stay.

It's getting harder and harder to imagine leaving. (This freaks my poor mother out.)

I went to my beloved Cafe Absinthe to write last night. I used to go every week to write. I'd stay for hours. But, it's been over two months since I've been in last. Dominique (the owner) called out to me as I walked in the door. "WHERE have you been!? Did you go abroad?"
"No, I didn't go anywhere."
"What happened to you then?"
"Oh, you know... love."
"Ahhhh. And now?"
"Heartache."
"Well, whatever, at least you're back here!"
He brought me my usual without me asking. I opened my notebook, stared out the window and sighed.

This may be a very long year in Japan.

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Yes, well, I am very aware of the sensitive hearts that read my blog. I'm keeping things vague here for a while.

I think the change is good, too. This change has been very difficult and not very glamorous at all, but definitely for the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home