Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Extended disconnect

It's amazing how a month-long vacation can fly by in the blink of an eye.

We had some family drama. Just one day into our camping trip, we got a call on the cell that my grandfather had had a heart attack and was at the hospital in critical condition. My mom, Kio and I cut our trip short, jumped on a ferry to hurry to our family across the Sound and spent the next four days at the hospital.

My grandfather had a double bypass surgery. He made it through just fine, but is having a TERRIBLE time adjusting to life without bourbon. The doctors were worried about him going into toxic shock and they ended up having to restrain him because he kept pulling out his IVs and trying to leave. He didn't even know where he was.

An entire brigade of Aunts kept manning the post by his bedside. I had Kiomye with me and wasn't much help. Luckily, my sister lives nearby and so I was able to stay with her. I just got back to Olympia today. (My vacation base camp.) I only have three more days until I return to Japan and only about 10 more people I have yet to see.

I hate when I can't see everyone I promised to. Please forgive me, friends.

2 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope things aren't too much to handle. My grandfather had a 6 bypass surgery about 5 years ago. It's definately a stressful time. Hope you're doing alright.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Diana said...

prayers to grampa. prayers for a safe flight. prayers for understanding friends. i'm a prayin' fool!

loving the ssk
ssd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home