Monday, July 17, 2006

taking the reigns

Lately, I’ve found my way into the lines of a bohemian poet. He is stealing one of my memories to warm the verse of prose. (Although, I must admit he has onwership of that memory as well.) But it shocked me to see those lines, so when darkness fell, I sat on the balcony with the city lights and the passing trains and cried buckets of cold tears into my tiny cup of lukewarm tea. Old sensations I cannot control, that creep up on me and run their rough finger tips up my spine and into my brain, cause me such unfettered grief.

Please let me forget this thing I want so badly.

Moving on. AFTER JAPAN, WHAT WILL COME?

It is time once more – to sweep and dump and plan and daydream. All my life, I have been naturally skilled in this act – the decisive choosing of the “next” and the dramatic embarkment onto my new path. But this time, for the first time, I don’t even know where to begin. I falter. I can’t seem to find in my weary body a single spark of interest.

Grad school or a job? Teaching or editing? Seattle or New York. South Africa or America? Celibate or coupled? Near family or far from the familiar?

I don’t know what is best for me, but worse, I can’t even feel the pull of my own desire.

2 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York, New York, New York! :)

~your future New Yorkian

(yeah, we're in Hawaii and I'm online... Jason's the diva of this couple, taking quite a bit longer to get ready than me. We spent the day at the beach and I'm exhausted, but refueling for a trip to Hanalei in a bit. Love you!)

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Scribbler said...

New York has it's fingers on my strings, tug tug tug. But, the thought of setting up in a "forein" city again so soon sound exhausting. I think I will land in Seattle for a bit and then decide if I'm up for it. (And if Kiomye is too)

I am glad you're having a good time in Hawaii. I like thinkning about you too playing in paradise. You SO deserve all this happiness. It flushes me full of pleasure to think of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home