Saturday, July 03, 2004

Huge Projects For Fun and... well, More Fun

I just finished Ayun Halliday’s The Big Rumpus. This was a fun, quirky book about a creative, intelligent woman trying to create a stimulating, satisfying life for herself while also being a full time mom for her three-year-old daughter and infant son. Very funny. I love Ayun. She lives in the middle of New York, she started her own zine, she can write well, she makes shocking statements about what she sometimes thinks about her charming little hellions. She makes me a little bit less crazy. Thanks, Ayun.

Her book was also interesting as I could find out some of her process for creating a zine. My friend Yulya (another Greener) and I are starting a literary magazine. While we both love zines (Yulya even produced one for over two years), we’re aiming to create something a little more glossy. Right now, we’re using McSweeney’s, Bitch and Adbusters as our inspiration models, with a little bit of Mother Jones thrown in as well.

This is a monstrous project. We don’t predict to have our inaugural issue done for over half a year. We’re trying to finagle interviews with Amy Goodman (of Democracy Now) and Arundhati Roy (author of The God of Small Things). This is both because we worship these women and because their names on our cover would be pretty impressive. We’re also seeking out fiction and visual contributions from other writers and artists that make interesting work.

Yep. It’ll be great.

2 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Welcome to my world. Yes, I also plan on writing my second book and promoting my first while in Japan. I'd also like to learn a martial art and get a hold of the Japanese language next year. I know... it's a sickness.

A plaque would be cool, though.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Scribbler said...

Oh yes, plus I also have Yulya to help with the literary journal and she's wicked smart and very capable. I wouldn't even atempt it if she wasn't there to handle things stateside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home