Saturday, August 28, 2004

Sushi Heaven

Okamoto took us out for sushi last night. His wife had flown to Tokyo to visit their son and he didn’t feel like cooking or eating left-overs. He took us to a place with booths covered in bright orange vinyl left over from the seventies and a conveyor belt full of food that wound its way around the restaurant. The sushi was only 105 yen per plate (about a buck). I ate everything that Okamoto yanked off the line and set before me. I’ve always loved sushi, but I’ve also grown accustomed to western sushi – heavy on the avocado and light on the raw fish. I would have never ordered the seaweed pouch full of giant fish eggs, or the drop of rice smothered by an entire side of scale fish back home. Everything was delicious. I particularly liked the giant fish eggs, though I think I still prefer pork to smelt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home