Sunday, January 01, 2006

My toddler linguist

I flipped on the TV this morning to distract Kiomye while I took a shower. Japanese kids shows – high pitched and high energy. As I stepped out of the shower, I heard the kids on TV shouting and realized I’d turned it up way too loud. So, I stumble dripping out of the bathroom to turn in down and find my daughter standing in front of the TV, jumping up and down and shouting a steady stream of Japanese at the super ranger on the screen. I try for a minute to understand what she’s saying and catch about a quarter of it. She never speaks Japanese to me because she knows I can’t follow her, so it’s moments like this that I learn how much she’s picked up.

Ugh. It’s too early in the morning for my daughter to be speaking in languages I don’t understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home