Friday, January 06, 2006

Riding in cars with boys

(scribbled in the half dark in the bumpin' passenger seat of a dropped Lexus)

I say to my friend, "Show me where the Yakuza work." So he detours deep into Amagasaki. Cece Penniston sings to a surreal club remix of "Love will save the day" as we cruise down prostitutes' alley. A long line of booths each illuminate a young woman. The girls sit on stools on the first floor of their two story shacks. They face out into the street. Big shiny smiles. Cece sings, "Dare to be brave." I gape at each woman, trying not to let my mouth drop open. This girl with long straight tresses flips her hair back. "You gotta be strong." She tilts her head back to laugh at our slow prowling car, flash of pale white throat. I try hard in those fleeting seconds to find the flaw that will raise me above them, but it is not to be seen.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Brettanicus said...

This entry reminds me of John Irving's "A Widow For One Year", where a writer goes to the red light district to research her novel, and befriends a prostitute (but I won't give away the ending...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home