Friday, May 05, 2006

Joyful days

Yesterday, Kiomye and I headed over to Okamoto for some shopping and to have cake at the florist's cafe. We were browsing French stationary and kitchen rugs decorated with dancing dogs when we first heard the drums. "What's that music?" Kiomye asked. I told her I had no idea and we went back to shopping. But the drums got louder and louder. We could hear people yelling. Kiomye exclaimed, "It's coming here!" and ran out of the shop into the sudden crowd that had gathered on the narrow street. That's when we saw this coming our way:We stumbled upon a Danjiri celebration. We dropped our goods back on the shelves and rushed out to follow the procession. We were led to one of the main roads. There was a huge crowd and about ten of these portable shrines racing up and down the street. We happened to grab a front row spot right across from the main bandstand, where the men would stop and do death-defying drops and turns and such. It was fabulous.

When we'd had enough of the banging drums and crowds, Kiomye and I retreated to our beloved florist's cafe. We haven't been there in months, but they remembered us well. After we scarfed our delicious cakes, Kiomye played cards with the owner's brother and I inked this drawing in my sketch book. I'd love to have it made into a tall window, with twisted metal work to form my letters. We lingered in the cafe a long long time. There's flowing water, leafy greens, opera arias, and real swallows that have built a nest above head. Peace seeps into my blood like cream stirred into coffee. We will not let so much time pass before we visit again. Here is a picture of the florist with her son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home