Thursday, October 06, 2005

Small Joys

Last night I spoke at our weekly staff meeting. This may not sound like a big deal - but it's huge. I have never seen a foreigner speak at one of our meetings, and further more, I have never heard any of the (two other) women speak on an issue unless they were directly asked. The top candidate for the new science teacher position is a very young, pretty female. We were going to vote on her acceptance onto our staff. Concerns were raised about how she would be able to handle working at our all-boys school. (I cannot go into detail as it's all closed door blah-de-blah) Being the only other young woman on staff - I felt I had to speak. It was terrifying to do so, but I could not stay quiet while listening to the things said (most via translation). So, I finally asked another English teacher to translate my words into Japanese and then said my piece.

As I have never spoken before, I had no idea what the reaction would be. That circle of men grew perfectly quiet and still and started at me with bug eyes. They listened to every word I said. They nodded their heads. The vote went the way I wished it would. My point was simple; demonstrate respect and the students will follow your behavior.

Afterwards, one of the other female teachers took me aside in the hall to tell me how glad she was that I said what I did. Even one of the male teachers cornered me in the office. His English isn't very good and he rarely speaks to me, but he struggled out a sentence to tell me he was happy that I spoke. I felt very good.

I really hope this new teacher doesn't crap out in the first term.

---

This morning I went to teach my class of adult women. My students were happy and easily engaged and the class went well. Upon leaving, I noticed that the building which has been under construction for the past half year was finished and was being occupied by a new art store. HORRAY! I have trampled all over Kansai looking for decent art supplies. I have finally found some good places, but they are far from my house and it's difficult to bring things back on the train. This new store is excellent and is within walking (or cheap taxi) distance from my house. I immediately went in and bought a long metal ruler I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Look for more new graphics to come on this dear blog...

Then, after that happy surprise, I returned home to find yet another. My beloved book fairy (can a man be a fairy? Oh, nevermind) had sent me an unexpected package. How I love the crinkle of brown packing.

This evening I'm off to Osaka for my weekly solitude and sanity session. The pretty girl at Absinthe doesn't even bring me a menu anymore.

I love days like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home