Sunday, March 26, 2006

Great big men make us all so happy

Even Kotooshu's cardboard cut-out could smash me flat as a pancake. Very impressive. So, yes, sumo was fabulous. My friend from Tokyo came down to see the action with me. He's the only person I know that doesn't look at me with a confused, quizical look when I say that I love sumo. In fact, I think he's the one that got me interested in it, a whole year ago. Watching on tv is enjoyable enough, but the gynmasium is full of shouting people, the smell of incense and the hollow echo that follows the clash of titans. We drank cans of hot coffee and tea, snapped pictures that had no chance of turning out and had a great time. Kotooshu won in a re-match. Takamisari acted the clown and Asashoryu lived up to his reputation and cleanly won the last match . I wish the sumo tournament came to Osaka every month.

More fun followed. My friend and I were having so much fun, that he decided to stay a couple more days. We went to Arima Onsen the next day. I'd never been before and was surprised by how close and easy to get to it is. We went the scenic way - riding the cable car up Rokko Mountain and then sliding down the ropeway on the other side. The day was gorgeous, sunny and full of new spring warmth. We soaked our feet in the sidewalk hot spring and bought wafers with macha cream sandwhiched between.

The next day, we took Kiomye into Osaka to play in Umeda. We rode the Hep Five Ferris wheel and saw a movie at Toho. Kiomye played the UFO catcher games and was given prizes by the adorng game attendants even when she couldn't get the toys to drop in the hole.

Finally, I feel like I'm on vacation. Work and life stress has spilled over into my free time between terms. My mind has been spinning and concerned with overwhelming challenges, so I haven't had a chance to relax. These wonderful days snuck up on me. I gained a little peace. I am so thankful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home