Monday, April 24, 2006

Today I am

My class schedule on Mondays is very good. I teach for the first four periods, and then have the last two periods free. I prefer to get all my classes done early in the day when both I and the students are still fresh and able to focus. Sixth period can be rough, especially with spring sparkling outside the open windows.

After my last class today, I stole away to Top Coffee to hide away with a cup of strong coffee and those fabulous old jazz CDs they play. I sat and pondered my many failed relationships of the year. Although, in all honesty, I would be rather suspicious if I considered any relationship in the first year after my separation a success. Time is rare and precious.

My desires and needs have experienced major flux. My last love did not treat me well. I was caught up in the whirlwind and let the glamour and excitement cloud my eyes. So now, before I rush headlong into the next train wreck, I thought it might be wise to consider what I have learned.

So, there on my break at Top Coffee, I took out my pen and started to scratch:

Musts
  • I must have access to you – an ability to communicate regularly.
  • I must be given the same priority in your life as you expect to have in mine.

There I stopped and tapped my pen on my lip. That was about it. I couldn’t think of anything else. If those two things are there, then we can work out the rest. But then I remembered my last love again and those times when those two musts were met, but still things were not well. So then I wrote in quick succession:

  • The relationship must not bring me feelings of shame, guilt or any other general “badness” just on the account of it’s basic existence.
  • You must respect me. Show respect for my intelligence, my emotions and my circumstances. We are equals.

Ah, yes. That’s better. The cloud is lifting. I can see those important things.

I returned to the school in time to slip into my running shorts and join the boys for our daily laps around the campus. My feet pounded against the concrete and I chased down some of my quicker students. One of the bigger boys tried to catch me at the end. He passed me, but I felt another spurt of energy and smoked him at the last second.

“Sensei!” he said. “Today you are strong.”

Yes. Today I am strong.

1 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Diana said...

I didn't think you could be any more beautiful than you were when we first met. But, then again, a bird is far more stunning with it's wings spread.

Sometimes we should feel weightless, but the 'if only' and 'what if' thoughts dig hooks in us and tether us to the ground. The hooks end up in our eyelids and keep us from seeing what is happening at that moment. The past and future is always trying to upstage the NOW. Desire and regret keeps us from actually experience what we have at this moment.

Look what you made me write! That's my Kelsye. I never know what you'll inspire...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home