Saturday, June 03, 2006

Success

The day was hot. Kiomye and I waited until after the sun set to take our walk together. We strolled all the way to the Mondoyakujin Temple. The large wooden doors were closed and locked, of course, but from the top of the staircase entrance, we could turn around and watch the lights of Nishinomiya turn the summer haze a deep purple. Lovely.

Yesterday I gave my third chapel speech to the entire school. The audience was bigger than previous times as we have a huge crowd of student teachers with us. My speech went incredibly well. I talked about prayer, how it took me so long to be comfortable talking to God. I played a South African song of "The Lord's Prayer", a prayer my students must memorize in English. To show how diverse prayer can be, I also played Lauryn Hill's song "Tell Him" which is all taken directly from 1 Corinthians 13. It's not every day that I get to blast hip hop in church. The students loved it. The teachers loved it. So many people wanted to talk to me after my speech. They wanted to know more, or else hear again the names of the artists I played. That made me feel very good.

Today I finished showing my movie class the modern version of "Romeo and Juliet." I had been worried that the Shakespeare would be too difficult for them to follow, but when Romeo knelt above Juliet, about to drink the poison, my students started pounding theit fists on the desk and shouting "Stop, Romeo! Look, Romeo!" It was great. Three students even cried. It's always a good day when you can make your students cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home