Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sports Day

Yes, it's that time again: Sports Day! I enjoy sports day because some of the competitive group games the boys play are actually very dangerous and there is NO WAY the insurance companies back in the states would let schools host such events. My personal favorite is when long, heavy wood beams with flags attached at the end are held up by one team and the other team tries to snatch the flag off by scrambling over the bodies and stepping on the heads of their opponents. Truly fabulous fun. Our school nurse does brisk business Sports Day.

This picture is from practice. We lose our last period of class in the week leading up to Sports Day so the kids can learn the games and practice standing, sitting and marching. (These standing and sitting rules apparently require a LOT of practice.) We were supposed to have the main event yesterday, but we got rained out. We're going to try for tomorrow, but heavy clouds have formed again. I don't know if we'll be able to do it.

Here's a few of my favorite suck-up students. These are ones I never have to yell at. Don't they look sweet and eager to please? I've started speaking to my students in Japanese outside of class. They are thrilled. They are also learning how little I actually know, which surprises them. They all thought I spoke Japanese much better and was simply hiding it. Um, nope. I guess it's a shock to find out your teacher isn't half as brilliant as you thought she was. Or, maybe it's just delightful for them to know that their crude little side conversations go right over my head.

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelsey? Oh man. I just found your blog and I'm so happy I did. I've been wondering what happened to you. You remember John Mealy from Author! Author!, right? Well, he and started dating almost a year after class ended and now we've graduated and are living together in Portland. He had this old laptop and when it broke he got it fixed, but then it broke again and got a new one instead. Well, my brother-in-law fixed it for us, so now it's mine. I was looking at all the things he had bookmarked and this was one of the things! Okay, that's probably long enough, but I just wanted to say hey, and I hope you don't mind if I read your blog. I would love to keep up on your life and happenings.
-Tricina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home