Sunday, August 27, 2006

Peeking into secrets

I stole this book from my sister's collection to read on the plane back. This is a PERFECT airplane book. It's so engrossing and fast-paced that I actually was annoyed when the flight attendant would interrupt me to give me fruit snacks and drinks. Chuck Palahniuk also wrote "Fight Club" and this book is full of the same intensity and mystery. Except it is entirely different.

This book tells a story about a middle-aged woman (worn-down and exhausted with her dismal life) who may possibly be the greatest painter in history and the only person who can save her idyllic island community from throngs of tourists who destroy it. It covers stockholt Syndrome - a physical sickness one gets from witnessing extreme beauty. I don't know if something such as this really exists, but the concept is fascinating. Because this is a Palahniuk, it's full of twists and a satisfyingly unexpected ending.

Now I'm on to "Sex, Murder and a Double Latte." My sister had a great bookshelf. I wonder how long it will take her to notice that half a shelf has gone missing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home